That’s why, in 2001, the Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers Association partnered with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the International Crane Foundation, World Wildlife Fund and the Defenders of Wildlife and established the Wisconsin Eco-Potato partnership. The result? A sustainable standard for growing potatoes — Healthy Grown®. The product? High-quality, eco-friendly russet, red and white Wisconsin potatoes.
Our Healthy Grown sustainable farmers work with ecologists, conservationists and University of Wisconsin researchers to
- Utilize and find better, less-invasive ways to manage pests and invasive plants
- Restore natural ecosystems
- Prevent erosion
- Support native plants and animals
- Conserve quality water
- Improve potato production
Every Healthy Grown farm is certified by Protected Harvest, an independent oversight organization, each year. They ensure our Healthy Grown growers pass annual whole-farm audits, and that all our packers and shippers maintain sustainability standards.
Awards and honors
- USDA Secretary’s Honor Awards for Maintaining and Enhancing the Nation’s Natural Resources and Environment
- World Wildlife Fund Gift to the Earth Award
- International IPM Award of Achievement
- International Crane Foundation Good Egg Award for Excellence