2020 Food Safety Training Dates Set
WPVGA will once again be offering food safety training to grower members in March 2020.
While Wisconsin potato growers have been diligent in staying ahead of the curve regarding the various certifications required, WPVGA recognizes the benefit of association-organized classes.
The following class options will be offered on the dates specified. Please take into consideration that while WPVGA is likely to continue offering some form of food safety training regularly in the future, the same classes listed below will not necessarily be offered every year from here on out. Therefore, if you need a certificate or an updated certificate in the near future, please consider completing the class in 2020.
Please read the below descriptions thoroughly and carefully before registering.
– Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP):
- Dates: March 3 and 4 (This is a required 2-day training)
- Time: 8:30am-4:30pm each day
- Location: TBD
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point, or HACCP, is a requirement for packing houses/ wash plants. HACCP is currently a requirement under PrimusGFS. While the new version of PrimusGFS v3.1 will go into effect in January 2020, there is a stipulation in it that requires organizations to have an updated HACCP certificate every 5 years, unless someone from the organization holds a PCQI certificate within that timeframe. At the time of your audit, you will still be required to show your HACCP certificate (even if greater than 5 years) in addition to your current PCQI certificate. If you are in need of a HACCP certificate, or an updated one, make sure you register for this class in 2020 as it may not be offered every year. If registered for this class, you are required to come each day to receive your certificate.
- NOTE: Immediately following the completion of this HACCP class on March 4, trainer Geri Barone will be holding a question and answer session on the newest version of PrimusGFS.
– Informative Presentation Seminar and Discussion:
- Dates: March 24
- Time: TBD
- Location: TBD
- This is not a required class for any food safety audit, but is merely a way for attendees to receive updates and information on recent developments. For example, DATCP has taken on the responsibility of auditing for Produce Safety regulations while Preventive Controls falls under the purview of Manufactured Foods. There have also been some “social audits” that have occurred more frequently. The goal of this seminar will be to bring presenters in from various organizations to provide updates and information on the above-listed areas.
Please note that WPVGA will not be offering a full training class on PrimusGFS in 2020. Instead, a Q&A session on the newest version of PrimusGFS (v3.1) will occur immediately upon completion of the HACCP certification class on Thursday, March 4th.
Please watch future Tater Talk issues for registration forms. Registration will be also available at the 2020 Grower Education Conference registration table. You may also contact Dana Rady at 715-623-7683 or [email protected] direct to register or with any questions.