Spud Bowl Scholarships Available
The Spud Bowl Committee is now accepting applications for the 2016 Spud Bowl scholarships. Five scholarships for $750 will be awarded. Applications are available to incoming students enrolling at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point for the 2016 fall semester, undergraduates already enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point and students planning to continue at UWSP.
Scholarship criteria include:
- Applicants must meet the GPA requirement of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or above;
- Resident of the University of Wisconsin -Stevens Point service area, which includes the counties of Adams, Columbia, Forest, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Portage, Shawano, Waupaca, Waushara and Wood;
- Farm or agri-business background, which includes that the scholarship applicant or applicant’s immediate family is actively involved in agriculture;
- Involved in extracurricular activities;
- Past involvement in community service; and
- Financial need
Scholarship applicants are not required to pursue a career in agriculture.
The scholarships are provided by the proceeds received from the annual Spud Bowl event. Applications are due August 10, 2016.
This year’s Spud Bowl football game is scheduled for Saturday, September 10, 2016 vs. Albion College at Community Stadium in Goerke Park. Now in its 30th year, the Spud Bowl was initially developed to highlight the agri-business industry in the Portage County area and now features the 4th annual Spud Run, a 5K race finishing in the stadium just prior to kickoff. Race registration and scholarship applications are available online at http://athletics.uwsp.edu/spudbowl .
Money for the scholarship fund is raised annually through this event, scheduled around the Pointers’ first home football game. Through the years over $100,000 has been awarded in Spud Bowl scholarships to over 100 students.
Again, to apply for the scholarship, go to: http://athletics.uwsp.edu/spudbowl
*If you’re chosen for the scholarship, you are required to attend the football game to be announced at half time, as well as assist in the events prior to the football game.